Find out more about what we do to prevent crime and make Ottawa a great place to live.
Paint It Up!
Now accepting applications for 2017
Crime Prevention Ottawa, in partnership with the City of Ottawa, is calling for applications for mural projects that support graffiti prevention, community safety and the beautification of Ottawa neighbourhoods through youth empowerment and community arts.
Since its inception in 2010, the program has involved more than 1200 youth, ranging in age from 12 to 22 years, working on 59 projects across the city supported by an average project grant of $5,000. Outdoor murals have proven to be effective in managing graffiti vandalism, supporting arts and culture, contributing to economic development and providing youth engagement opportunities.
- How to apply: To find out more about the program, download the guidelines and the application form.
- Application deadline: All applications must be postmarked, e-mailed, or received by 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 4, 2017.
How it works
Each project must involve a partnership that includes:
- a non-profit organization with expertise in working with youth;
- an artist or arts organization with expertise in creating murals; and
- a representative of the proposed location of the mural.
The project must be completed by youth under the guidance of an adult mentor knowledgeable in mural art techniques. It must seek to increase the skills and/or the employability of the youth engaged in the project. Leaders must commit to working with the community, the youth and the property owner on the design of the mural. Youth must be involved in all aspects of the project: community consultation, design and completing the mural itself.
Paint it Up information sessions
Please join us for one of our information sessions:
Tuesday, March 7
1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
City Hall-110 Laurier Avenue West
2nd floor Colonel By room
Wednesday, March 8
5:30 – 7 p.m.
Foster Farm Community Centre
1065 Ramsey Crescent (off Pinecrest)
To confirm your attendance, please RSVP by e-mail at CPO@ottawa.ca or leave a message at 613-580-2424 ext. 25393. If you require special needs accommodation, please advise upon registration.
To see examples of Paint it Up! murals completed in recent years, take a look at
- Our map with the locations and pictures of all previous murals
- Our video of murals completed across the city
- Our report on the successful 2016 murals
Bus, bike or walk around the city and check out the 2010 to 2016 murals.
View Paint it up! in a larger map.