Problems in local parks

Parks and other public areas may attract groups of people, often youth, who drink or do drugs, make excessive noise or cause disturbances for others trying to enjoy the space. Their presence can be intimidating and may make people stay away. All public parks are closed between 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.

If you have a problem with young people causing issues in a park:

  • Talk to the youth’s parents, if you know them, to let them know about the issue.
  • Help young people organize projects and positive activities to encourage them to take ownership of their community.
  • Do not approach a group of people that you do not know, as this might lead to a situation that quickly goes beyond your control. Call By-Law at 3-1-1 and report the situation.
  • Always use caution and common sense when addressing a problem with a group of people. Never put yourself at risk.

Problems with a local bar

All bars serving alcohol must have a license and follow the rules and regulations set by the City of Ottawa By-Law Services and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

If a bar in your neighbourhood is not following the rules, it may create excessive noise and fighting, or serve alcohol in an irresponsible way. Report the bar to By-Law, the AGCO and the police, who will work together to address the issues.

Here’s how:

  • The City of Ottawa’s By-Law and Regulatory Services Branch deals with issues such as noise violations and food vendor permits. By-Law will investigate noise complaints and approach the alcohol license committee to have a liquor license taken away if the violations are repeated. Report the bar to By-Law by calling 3-1-1.
  • The AGCO can take away a liquor license for violations such as serving excessive alcohol or serving alcohol to minors. Report these types of violations directly to the AGCO by calling 1-800-522-2876.
  • If there is a life-threatening emergency at an establishment, please call 9-1-1 to inform police.
  • Report issues such as fighting or the sex trade at an establishment to the police at 613-236-1222.