Problem addresses are homes or apartments where there is ongoing gang or drug activity, sex trafficking, excessive noise or disorderly conduct. They negatively impact communities. Community members can be the eyes and ears of the police when it comes to a problem address.

What to do if there is a problem address near you

If you notice suspicious or possibly criminal activity in your neighbourhood, call the police. To report it anonymously, call Crime Stoppers at 1-877-222-8477

Always use common sense and practice safety when dealing with a problem property in your neighbourhood to avoid placing yourself at risk. Instead, let the police know about the property.

How to recognize a drug house

Drug sales often happen in homes. Signs of a drug house include:

  • Occupants who seem paranoid, unfriendly or secretive
  • Shades or blinds that are closed
  • Extensive security measures around the house
  • People who seem to act as lookouts
  • Many short visits to the address by people in vehicles, on bicycles or on foot
  • Visits that happen at odd hours, such as the middle of the night
  • Visitors who bring personal property and leave without it
  • Money or small packages that change hands
  • High levels of theft in the surrounding area
  • Drug paraphernalia at or near the location, such as very small plastic bags, bundled or twisted pieces of cellophane, pieces of balloon, hypodermic needles, needle caps, pipes or glass vials

Dangers of a marijuana grow-op

Grow-ops can be a real problem. Homes used for grow-ops have structural, fire and air quality dangers. They also attract criminals to the neighbourhood. Here are some of the things you need to know:

  • Grow-ops use a great deal of electricity, so holes are often drilled in the foundation to allow residents to steal utility services
  • Live wires are often left exposed, causing a potential fire hazard
  • Excess moisture from the operation’s heat and humidity can cause severe structural damage
  • The use of chemicals and fertilizers can damage air quality

How to recognize a marijuana grow-op

  • A grow house is missing a “lived-in” feel, as most do not have people living inside
  • The windows may be covered or have excessive moisture on them
  • There may be strong earth and rotting smells coming from the home
  • You may experience power surges, as grow houses will usually steal electricity from the grid to power their operations
  • You might notice visitors coming and going at odd hours

If you notice any of these signs, report the property to police by calling 613-236-1222, ext. 7300. You can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 or submit a tip online.

For more information