If there is a problem in your neighbourhood, it’s important to know who to call. In this section, you’ll learn about:

Remember that you can help solve problems by working with your neighbours. Before you pick up the phone, consider what you can do to help.

Ask yourself:

  • What is the problem in my neighbourhood?
  • Can I think of ways to help solve it?
  • Would others want to work with me to solve the problem?
  • If we need help, who should I call?

Emergency services

There are many people, services and resources available to support you. It’s important to know who to call. You’ll find the information you need here.

Ottawa Police Service

  • For a life-threatening emergency or crime in progress, call 9-1-1
  • For other emergencies, call 613-230-6211
  • To report a theft, property damage, missing person or stolen vehicle, phone the Ottawa Police Service Call Centre at 613-236-1222, ext. 7300 (TTY 613-760-8100)
  • To reach your Community Police Centre and for all other enquiries, call 613-236-1222 (TTY 613-232-1123)

To learn more about what the Ottawa Police Service is doing in your neighbourhood, contact your local Community Police Centre.

Ottawa Fire Services 

The Ottawa Fire Services protects lives and property. They respond to emergency and non-emergency issues such as fires, rescues, and medical and hazardous waste emergencies. They are also responsible for fire prevention, public education and emergency preparedness.

  • To report a fire or other emergency, call 9-1-1
  • For general inquiries, call Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2860
  • For more information, visit the City’s website


The Ottawa Paramedic Service delivers medical treatment for life-threatening medical emergencies, including heart attacks, strokes, respiratory and traumatic injuries.

  • To report a medical emergency, call 9-1-1
  • For more information, visit the City’s website

By-law & regulatory services

The City of Ottawa’s By-Law and Regulatory Services Branch addresses issues that are not criminal but that represent the rules that we live by as members of our community.

How to report by-law violations

By-law violations in a neighbourhood can range from noise between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., improper care or control of animals, inadequate yard maintenance and more. If you feel that someone has committed a by-law violation, you can report it by calling 3-1-1. A By-Law Officer will investigate.

If possible, try to solve the problem yourself by talking to your neighbour.

What happens after you report?

By-Law may issue a warning for the first offense, but continued violations may result in fines or court proceedings. Your name, address and telephone number will be kept confidential unless the matter goes to court. In that case, you may be required to appear as a witness.

City of Ottawa By-Laws

The City of Ottawa has by-laws to address:

  • Animal care and control
  • Traffic and parking
  • Noise
  • Property standards
  • Property maintenance
  • Use and care of roads
  • Temporary signs
  • Parks and facilities
  • Permits
  • Graffiti management
  • Smoke-free environments

Visit the City’s website for a full list of by-laws.

Other municipal services

City of Ottawa Contact Centre

Dial 3-1-1

The City of Ottawa’s Contact Centre is open Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Only urgent calls such as broken water mains, traffic lights that are not functioning, or by-law services such as noise complaints, parking enforcement or animal control services will be accepted outside of business hours.

  • General Inquiries: 3-1-1 or 613-580-2400
  • Toll-Free: 866-261-9799
  • TTY: 613-580-2401-TTY/Teletypewriter users only

Community information and services

Dial 2-1-1

The Community Information Centre of Ottawa helps to connect people through multilingual mediated access to community, social, health and government services in their community. They operate a 2-1-1 that you can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also search for information or services online.

Victim services

There are many services available to victims of crime in the City of Ottawa.

Victim support services

Victim Service Crisis Unit: The Ottawa Police Service (OPS) offers information and help to victims of crime. Contact the Victim Service Crisis Unit by phone at 613-236-1222, ext. 2223 (TTY 613-760-8009), or visit the OPS website for more information about victim services.

Ottawa Victim Services: At Ottawa Victim Services (OVS), professional staff and trained volunteers provide support for people who have been victims of crime or tragedies. OVS offers services by telephone, on-scene and in their victim services office. Visit the OVS website for more information.

Victim Support Line: This toll-free information line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in the language of your choice. Services include:

  • Information and referrals to services in your community
  • Information about provincially sentenced offenders

You can also register for automatic notifications when an offender’s status changes. Call the Victim Support Line toll-free at 1-888-579-2888 or visit their website.

Support to victims of violence

Elder abuse: The Ottawa Police Service offers information specific to crimes against seniors. Find out more and get access to resources to help you protect yourself, a parent or grandparent, or someone in your neighbourhood.

Domestic violence

24-hour support lines
  • Helpline for abused women: (613) 745-4818
  • Assault Women’s Helpline: 1-866-863-0511
  • FEMAIDE for francophone women: 1-877-FEM-AIDE/1-877-336-2433
  • Minwaashin Lodge, Aboriginal Women’s Support Centre: (613) 789-1141
Crisis and counselling services

Sexual violence

24-hour support lines
Crisis and counselling services

Child abuse